For many people, it is not difficult to forget about a bank account they have not used in years or misplaced their state income tax check. This money does not simply disappear but is given to the state to hold on to after a certain amount of time has passed. New Jersey has an Unclaimed Property Administration that assists individuals in reclaim their property. The state does this to ensure business and financial institution do not take advantage of individual by claiming their property.
Here’s how to find out if you have unclaimed property and how to reclaim it:
- To check if you have unclaimed property, go to missingmoney.com which will allow you to check for unclaimed property in New Jersey and throughout the country
- com is legitimate company that the Unclaimed Property Administration uses to securely search for missing property
- If missingmoney.com shows that you have an unclaimed property, follow the instruction on the website to file a claim
- After that, you will receive a claim packet in the mail which will ask for more information pertaining to the property to ensure that you are the rightful owner
- Once all of the information is returned and the claim is processed the property will be returned to you
If you need help with any part of this process, please reach out to my office and they will be happy to help you.