Whether you are up for a promotion, looking for a new job, or applying for an internship it is key to give a good interview. The interview, which takes place during the hiring process, is normally the first time an employer gets to meet the applicant. It is the only time the applicant gets to make their first impression, so it is important to make it a successful first impression.
Although a lot of people get nervous for job interviews, stay calm. The worst thing that can happen is they do not hire you, but that is good because it can motivate you to apply to somewhere else. Before the interview process comes the application, when submitting your application for your promotion or new job make sure you double check your application. Always read over it for spelling and grammar. If you are attaching your resume and a cover letter, think about having someone review them before you submit them.
The main goal when applying to a new job, internship, or promotion is to obtain that role. In order to successfully get the position, the interview must be successful. Here are some helpful times to have a successful interview:
- Dress for success, remember this is your first time meeting the employer so you want to look your best
- Try and do some background research on the company or position
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to your scheduled time
- Display your skills by giving positive examples of your experience
- Try to come up two or three questions to ask at the end of the interview
- Study your resume and know it well
- Make eye contact and have confidence in yourself